November 08, 2011

Fall School

We've had fun this year so far!  I've found a good groove for schooling both kids at the same time and having a two year old two days a week.  Mattie and I have not gotten into a good Five in a Row routine, and that makes me sad, but I hope I can figure it out soon.  Mostly it's a lack of planning on my part.  

Here are a few things the kids have done...

 
 Jacob made a poster advertising for a trip to the New World.

We read about sheep and Mattie made this one with real sheep wool!
  
We have loved our Apologia Astronomy!  (These are all ideas we used out of the book.)  We get together every other week with two other families to do the experiments/activities.
 We poured lava on a dusty surface to see how it shaped the surface of Venus.
 
 Jacob made a comic about life on Venus and shared it with his friends.  Something about having 25 kids, 10 of whom who drowned in the lava and the others complaining that they wanted to go back to Earth so they could have some snow and celebrate Christmas.  Boys are weird!

We learned how radar worked.  We stuck this stick down through the paper and charted the depth to which it sank.  The kids colored in their charts and we revealed the surface below!
 
 
   The picture revealed!

    
 We separated the colors in a black marker.
 
 We learned about the suns rays by melting chocolate with a magnifying glass.  (Of course we burned up leaves too, but the chocolate part was much more fun.)
  
~~~~~~
 We've painted our fall trees with arms (trunks) and fingerprints (leaves)!  This was a pinterest idea.  :)
 
 We went to the apple orchard, and here's my animal loving girl enjoying the goats.

And I don't have a photo of this, but I've discovered Mattie is a total Math head.  Math pages are her reward for getting her phonics pages completed!  She loves to do Math.  By Christmas she'll be finished with her kindergarten Math book and we'll be doing the first grade one after the first of the year.  The best part of this is that she'll be ready for Teaching Textbooks sooner.  :)  I'll still have to add the Critical Thinking book for thinking out of the box a bit... those pages are her favorites!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of fun even despite all the craziness! Isn't it good to do a blog post like this so that you know you really HAVE done some good stuff?!? :) As for math...I bet Caleb and Mattie are going to be ready for TT3 around the same time! Oh no!! I was really hoping to share all these all the way through! Would have been a nice thought I guess!