August 07, 2008

Going Private

Revised

Just thought I'd give a day or so warning that I'm going private on my blog. I am sorry to do this, but I've been thinking about it for awhile and think it is best for a lot of reasons.

The purpose of my blog is to share events in our family, pictures of things we do, things the Lord is teaching me, and sometimes my heart. Sometimes I wonder about posting something because I don't want to throw "my heart" out there for just anyone to read it. Sometimes it's too personal an issue, and sometimes it will only sound right to a person who knows me, loves me, and thinks the best of me. This will be best for me to not be wondering what people are thinking (like I do when I don't know who's reading), but I can still share things with those I choose.

One thing I have pondered in this information age is that blogs give a false sense of relationship. I am finding that the healthiest relationships I have are the ones where there is face to face (or at least ear to ear) contact. Now, if you don't live locally, then a blog is a great way to keep in contact, learn new ideas, and see pictures of what's going on. (Though sometimes I wonder not in a pity party way if my family feels in touch with me by reading and doesn't feel the need to call...) But if a day to day relationship is available, it is so much better to have it face to face! There is no wondering if people are understanding the written word, wondering if they have read what one has written, wondering if one wrote it about you, etc. (Yes, I do struggle with wondering what people think about me!) I also know that I am often free-er in writing than in speech, which can be a bad thing. So I think this will be better for a lot of reasons. My point is not to alienate anyone, but to know who my audience is.

To read my blog now, there will be a quick extra step of signing in. If you are a regular google reader, it won't be any extra trouble for you except to be sure you're signed in. I don't know what it will do to those of you who subscribe, I'll have to work on that. Be sure to send me an e-mail to let me know you're interested so I don't miss anyone, robertandlissa@gmail.com , and then keep my e-mail address so you can e-mail if things aren't working right.

No comments: