July 17, 2009

One of the best things I could have lost

In the chaos of the move, I lost the index card that had Mattie's (wheat-free) sandwich bread recipe on it. That first week I was frustrated as I needed to make her bread, but couldn't find it anywhere! I finally got desperate and tried to replicate it as best I could. I knew the ingredients, but wasn't sure about the ratios. So I based it on my wheat bread recipe. Well, I'm so glad I lost that old card! I've made bread three or four times since we moved in here and it's getting better each time! Today's batch was the best it's ever been.

Here's my recipe...

4c brown rice flour
1/2 c potato starch flour
1/2 c tapioca starch
1/2 c ground flax
1t salt
2T xanthan gum
3 packages yeast

2 1/2 c warm water
3 eggs
4T honey
4T oil
1T apple cider vinegar

I whisked the dry ingredients together, then added them to the liquids. I stirred it up by hand until it was well mixed, put 3 loaves in the warmed oven (turned off) with a few spritzes of water to let it rise. Waited till it almost doubled, then cooked for 25 min at 300 in my convection oven (cook at 325 if not convection).

It is so good! The texture is the most like wheat bread I've ever had. It's always exciting to have success in a food allergy kitchen!!

1 comment:

mom said...

Congrats, Liss! I'm not surprised that you figured it out, but am really pleased for you that it has worked out so well so quickly!

LY MOM