August 28, 2007

Two bits about manna

This morning was my first week at the women's Bible Study. We're doing A Woman's Heart, by Beth Moore. Today was the third video, but my first of the series. It was great! Anyway, she was talking about the time when the Lord was feeding manna to sustain the Israelites while they were wandering in the desert. Two things she said really struck a chord with me...

1) The manna was not just physical food, but the Israelites need for manna kept them humble and dependent on God.
God was not just feeding them by providing the manna, He was doing it in a way that the grumbling Israelites could not take credit for or help with, so they had to trust Him. It's like that proverb (Proverbs 30:8,9) that asks something like this... "make me rich enough to not be hungry and steal but poor enough to need you to provide for me." I want God to keep me in a place where I know how much I need Him.

2) The Israelites had to get up and out of their tent every morning (except Sunday)to get the manna.
Beth Moore was talking about sin and how we need to get that sin into the light of Christ every day before it grows and grows. We need the fresh bread of Christ every day to sustain us. God doesn't get angry if we miss a "quiet time" with Him, but how much more we are blessed from that time when we choose to give it to Him! God is faithful to meet me when I make myself available to Him. He loves that time with me and it blesses Him.

This doesn't really have to do with the manna, but she also mentioned that our daily troubles are what keep the ground level among us. Knowing we all struggle can keep our nose out of the air (when we're doing well) and help us keep our chin up (when we're struggling).

Lamentations 3:19-25
Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness.
Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me.
This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.
The Lord's lovingkindness indeed never ceases for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
The Lord is my portion says my soul, therefore I have hope in Him.
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.

No comments: