February 13, 2011

Bible in 90 ~ Week 6 ~ God is My Rock!

This week I read some of Nehemiah, all of Job and we're into Psalms.  And I have to say, I definitely enjoy reading more when it's a part of a whole story.  I know it all fits together, but Job is an isolated story and Psalms aren't really connected if you're not reading them intertwined with the appropriate chronological event to which they apply.  So this isn't my favorite section at all, but I know God put it in here so it matters to Him!

As I'm reading through Psalms I notice the verses that jump out at me are the ones that talk about God being our rock. God has given me a personality that lends itself to being in leadership in positions or relationships, whether or not I'm looking for it.  Because of that, it's easy to think I have to bear the load, get it all done, be the strong one, and yet trudge through unaffected.


The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:1-2

For who is God besides the Lord?
And who is the Rock except our God?
Psalm 18:31

From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Psalm 61:2-4

My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalm 62:1-2

 It matters to me that there is someone else who is the Rock, the Stronghold, the Fortress, the Strong Tower... because that means I don't have to be!

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 40:1-3

God, You are glorified in my trials when I turn to You.  I have trials I don't want to navigate and stories I don't want to be mine to tell, but You allow them so I will seek You.  Oh God,  put a new song in my mouth so I can praise You!  Allow me to show others Your power. Turn their hearts so they will put their trust in You.


O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 

Psalm 51:16-17

Take my life and let it be, consecrated, Lord to Thee.
Take my moments, and my days. Let them flow with ceaseless praise.
Take my will and make it Thine, It shall be no longer mine. 
Take my heart, it is Thine own, It shall be Thy royal throne.
Frances R. Havergal




May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

1 comment:

Paula said...

Oh David and I could have been such good friends!!!!!!