February 24, 2011

Wheat Free, Dairy Free Pancakes, Anyone?

Because starches (other than corn starch which I can't use here) are expensive and because I'm stubborn, I'm always trying to prove that recipes can work without the typically recommended 3:1 flour: starch ratio.  And on pancakes, I've done it.  Thankfully so, because I make pancakes at least twice a week here!

2 eggs
Enough water to get to 2 cups after eggs are in bowl... 2 eggs + water = 2 cups.
1/3 c oil


2 c brown rice flour
1/2 c sugar (I use turbinado)
1/2 c ground flax
1 T baking powder
1 t salt

Mix wets, add dries and whisk JUST UNTIL MOISTENED!  This will be a thick batter, more like a quickbread than bisquick. (Those pancakes below are 5/8" thick or so.) When I'm "pouring it," I use a spatula to help it move onto the skillet in the portions I want.  Let sit for one or two minutes and pour onto skillet (350 degrees here).  Flip when bubbles are popping or bottom feels firm when tested with a spatula. 
            

I get 12 5" pancakes from this batch.  If I overmix, they are rubbery and thinner (because I have to use single acting baking powder that is corn free).  But if I mix just enough and get them all on the skillet right in the first batch, they are perfect!  If you have to do two batches, just do your best to stir as little as possible in between.

 

Because everyone who has a food allergy kitchen likes options, here are some:
Omit flax, just cut water down by 1/2 c.
Omit eggs, just use 2 c water.
Use xanthan or guar as appropriate (I skip it and it's fine).

YUM!

No comments: