October 25, 2008

Natural Tunnel State Park

Almost two weeks ago we went here with a friend of mine. She's been wanting us to meet here for a couple of months and we've just had a hard time getting together. We started our day off at 8:00 AM and didn't get home until after 9:30 that night!

Natural Tunnel State Park
This park has an old steam engine and train tracks, so you know with my crowd it's a hit from the beginning!



We hiked on a nature trail down in a valley to see the tunnel.


This tunnel was formed 100% by water. Daniel Boone was the first white man to walk through it.


This tunnel was man made. It's about 100 feet from the other tunnel, so the trains go through both as they pass.


Abby, Mattie, Michael, Jacob, Destiny, and Elyssa
The kids were excited to sit on the tracks! Thankfully, they were appropriately nervous.

(I was in the gift shop by myself with the kids for a few minutes and someone thought they were all mine!)


Jacob and Destiny were reading all about the history of the tunnel and the Norfolk Southern train tracks.

The View from the Bottom
Isn't God amazing?



To You I lift up my eyes, O You who are enthroned in the heavens! Psalm 123:1



We Saw a Train Come Through!
There is no schedule, so this was just a treat!





Foliage
I could go spend a week here just me and my camera. (And Dad, you'd be in absolute heaven. Wanna meet us there next weekend for family pictures??) The photography opportunities are absolutely unlimited. After a while, leaves are just leaves in pictures, but I don't think I can tire of being surrounded by them during the fall.





The View from the Top
Lover's Leap is what they call the top of this mountain. Lovers from two different Indian tribes used to fall in love, but knew they were not allowed to intermarry. So they'd jump off the top of the mountain in hopes that they'd be united in the afterlife. A bit dramatic, I'd say!




View from Lover's Leap

Natural Tunnel from the trail up to Lover's Leap

The Appalachian Homestead
At the bottom is a preserved Appalachian homestead. We just finished studying Appalachia, and both kids were sick so we didn't get to do our scheduled field trip. This was perfect! It's just a one room house so we played some games to help the kids see what life would really be like with 10 people living in this tiny little house.



And how it would feel in January having spaces in between the panels of the door, floors and walls.





I believe this goes down as my favorite field trip ever. We're going this weekend I hope, and taking Robert with us this time!

4 comments:

Trevor Hammack said...

Melissa,

A very nice blog and great pictures. I will post a link to your blog from the Preaching Today blog. Keep up the good work!

Trevor Hammack
www.sermonaudio.com/vbc
www.preachtoday.blogspot.com

A girl who sees said...

That looks like such a fun day! I am definitely with you on the loving fall thing - I adore this season and every part of it! :)

Valerie said...

Where is this place? We are going to have to take Colin there one day.

rainydaymichele said...

Great pictures! It looks like a wonderful place for a field trip and a perfect time of the year to go. :)