April 08, 2009

Our Favorite Allergy Cake

I've been making this cake for quite awhile now and it always turns out! It's really good!

Allergy Reduced :) Chocolate Cake
(It's not wheat free, though I'm sure Jen would be up to that challenge!)

1 3/4 c flour (I use freshly ground soft white flour)
1/2 t salt
1 c raw sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking soda

5 T oil
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 t vanilla

1 c cold water
1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch pan.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir well with a fork, then add oil, vinegar and vanilla. When dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened, pour in cold water and stir until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (18-20 for cupcakes) or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I've made this as cupcakes, a cake, and replaced the cocoa with a bit more flour to make white cupcakes too. It always works out without being crumbly like most egg-free cakes are. I usually double it and get 20 cupcakes or so. Today I tripled it, got 24 cupcakes and an 11x7 cake.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup - on our counter as we speak, Gluten-free:-) ! I haven't tried the non-cocoa version...hmm...maybe it's time to bake! One more tempting way to avoid doing my taxes!

Jeni