January 04, 2009

1 Peter 3 for Melissa

So tonight I was writing in my journal and praying for my relationship with Robert. Specifically how I can meet Robert's needs because Robert won't ever tell me! (The jury's still out on whether he's really that laid back or just afraid to answer when I ask.) And today I've been wrestling with a whole bunch of selfish feelings and their correct opposites flying around my head... picture New York City interchange at 7 AM. It's exhausting. So I thought I'd type it all out here as that often helps me think through it all more clearly.

So after praying for a bit and confessing all sorts of fleshly yuckiness, better known as SIN, I felt led to search my Bible for scriptures specifically speaking of a wife's behavior toward her husband. The first one I thought of was 1 Peter 3: 3-4. I've had it memorized for a long time.

Your adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

That's a beautiful passage, and certainly one to remember and strive toward.

So if that wasn't enough for one evening, I decided to pull out Robert's Key Word Study Bible (love this Bible!!) and dig in a bit. After all my defining, here's what I came up with:

submissive - submit oneself unto
disobedient - disbelieving of
chaste - clean, pure
adornment - orderly arrangement
heart - thoughts, feelings
gentle - humble, meek
quiet - keeping one's seat, sedentary, still, peaceable
spirit - rational soul, mental disposition

My paraphrase of 1 Peter 3:1-4:
---you Melissa, submit yourself unto Robert, so that if he is disbelieving of the word, he may be won over without a word by your behavior as his wife, as he observes your pure and respectful behavior. Your orderly arrangement must not be merely external - braiding the hair and wearing gold jewelry and putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of your thoughts and feelings, with the imperishable quality of a humble, meek, sedentary, still, peaceable mental disposition, which is precious in the sight of God.

So I totally confess that my thoughts and feelings at this juncture are not sedentary or still, let alone humble and meek! ("Meek" is kind of an enigma to me anyway.) I was already trying to be a good, supportive, loving, serving wife. But boy, do I have a long way to go. I thought that by keeping it all in my head, I was doing okay. But I was way off. My thoughts swirling around like a blizzard are sin, even if they're not bad thoughts. They're a far cry from a still, sedentary (are you kidding?!?), mental disposition.

Change me, God, and make me more like You. And thank You for not leaving me in the dust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful Melissa! Thank you for sharing it! It has given me good food to think about too!

Love,
Leslie

Anonymous said...

hmmm...must be in the air. I'm wrestling through some of the same things. Swirling thoughts are quick clues that I've not got enough space or time with the Lord or in His Word... BTW, I did a word study on "Meek" for an assertiveness class at University of Alaska with a bunch of bitter unsaved tough women. Interesting class... but meek actually is a word of strength. not passivity. It is a quiet strength that chooses to restrain oneself. Definitely the opposite of doormat, which I think I always equated it to before I studied the word... :-) LY-Jeni