May 20, 2010

Yes! Great Gluten-Free Bread!

After 2 years of trying, I finally have a recipe worth sharing!  I've done this three or four times now and it's worked every time.  Best of all, Mattie likes it!


3c warm water
3 eggs
1/4c oil
6T honey (or sugar)

3 1/2c brown rice flour
1/2c ground flax
1c tapioca flour
1t guar gum
2 1/2t salt
1t baking soda
1 packet yeast

Preheat oven to 150-170 and turn off.  Grease loaf pans.  (This recipe yields 3 4x8 loaves for me.)
Combine and whisk all wet ingredients.  In small bowl, combine and stir (whisk or fork) together all dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk together quickly, stopping as soon as well mixed.  Immediately pour into loaf pans.  (It will be the consistency of a quick bread batter.)  Allow to rise in warm oven until half again as large at most.  With pans still in oven, turn oven on to 350 (mine cooks at 325 on convection) for 30 minutes.  Cool in pans for 10 minutes before cooling the rest of the way on cooling racks.

*I have also baked only one loaf and have frozen the other two until the day I was ready to bake.  In that case I took the frozen batter (frozen in the loaf pan) and set it out to thaw and rise.  Bake just as above.  This batter thaws out enough that you could freeze it in any container and pour it into the loaf pan to finish rising and baking.

*I use guar gum because it is cheaper than xanthan and easier to get my hands on.  It is also corn free, so it's safer for use in our kitchen.  You could easily use xanthan instead.  I think it would be 2T of xanthan gum.

*When I use the dark flax seeds, it adds color to the bread.  Mattie likes that it "looks like Jacob's bread!" so I'll keep doing it this way.

*Even if it does rise well, it will rise some as it bakes and still be just as good.  Don't think it's a failure!

*This bread stays fresh at room temperature for 3 or 4 days.

2 comments:

A girl who sees said...

Woohoo!!! :) I'm so glad that you've found a recipe that works well for her! I'll pass this along to Sarah, I'm sure she'd love it! :)

Julie said...

Thanks Melissa, I have 2 gluten-free eaters in my family. I'm looking forward to trying the bread. :)