January 06, 2011

The Individual Snowflake.

The kids and I are learning about winter this week using the DNG Winter Wonders (more to come in a couple of days!).  We were planning on reading about this stuff in books, but God delivered a beautiful snowfall for us last night! 

A thick, heavy, wet snow... perfect for photos and snowmen.  :)

So for the first time in my life I sought to find an individual snowflake among the white blanket.  I knew they were there all clumped together, but it was so neat to find flakes displaying their distinct shapes!  A Moment of Joy for sure!

I was like a kid in a candy store outside in my jammies, slippers and really bad bedhead trying to take some pictures before it all started melting.  Then I carefully scooped some snow up with a spatula and put it in the freezer so we could look at the later for our science lesson.  I was supposed to pull together a physics lesson, but I had this great snowflake book and this lesson was way cooler!  Then because I also had to do an introduction to PowerPoint lesson, we made a PowerPoint together to review what we learned about snowflakes today.

~ ~ ~

I want to slow down and teach my children to appreciate the beauty and delicacy of an individual snowflake

and the grandeur of His entire creation.

And I believe they will, one little nature lesson at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you upload them in medium or large. Lately it freaks out if I try to upload large.

Also how do you get them to be matted on your blog? Do you pre-mat them in another program?