January 31, 2011

Bible in 90 ~ Week 4 ~ Give it all, or just most?

I can't believe it's been 4 weeks!  I know you are sick of me saying it, but I am so glad I am doing this.  I have learned more than any other time in the word, especially just reading totally on my own (without a Bible study).

This has been the hardest week thus far.  Not because the reading was uninteresting, though.  I've had tension headaches from spending so much time looking down.  I've struggled to focus and not felt well because of food reactions and hormones.  (I can even tell as I'm writing this I don't feel like myself and this is taking so much work!)  My two calm weekend days didn't pan out as I thought and I was frustrated I was reading late at night to finish.  But I know it's such a good commitment and worth the struggle.

This week we read through 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings.  I tried really, really hard to stay focused and absorb what I was reading.  If I found my mind wandering I went back and re-read the section, because I really wanted to get it all!  What I am finding is that pieces to this puzzle that have previously been missing are falling into place as I read it in this way.  I'm understanding things I've not understood for my entire life spent in church!  And I'm so thankful for it.

There were many kings who made a lot of rotten choices, and a few kings who made some good ones.  All of the "good ones" served God and followed all of His commands.  But in almost every case "they left the high places" and the Asherah poles.  They allowed people on the outskirts to still worship false Gods.  I wonder if I make mostly the right choices, but I keep a few idols hidden in the high places.  Do I give it almost all to God?  Or do I do like Josiah did and destroy everything that separates me from Him?

No comments: