November 10, 2007

I made good cookies!!!

I realize that is nothing to celebrate in the average kitchen, but in my life, it's a very big deal! If you don't remember my last attempt at chocolate chip cookies, see here. But look what I made today!!



These are egg free, dairy free, corn free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and they are yummy and not flat as a pancake! Woohoo!! Last time I tried for wheat free too, but that was too much for one cookie! So this time, I found a recipe that is originally made with shortening, used applesauce and baking powder for the eggs, added a bit more flour and some oats to bulk them up and they are great! They are greasy, but I think that's just the shortening. (I think next time I'll cut it down some.) I'm just happy to make cookies that look like something non-allergy free!

Here's the recipe for "Egg free Dairy Free Corn Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:"
3/4 c shortening (originally 1c)
3/4 c white sugar (I used turbinado)
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
2 t vanilla

2 1/2 c all purpose flour (I used fresh ground soft white flour)
1/2 c oats
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt

2 c chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add applesauce and vanilla .Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, powder and salt; gradually mix into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, until light brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
I will say, if you can tolerate dairy, use butter instead. Nothing is as good as real butter in chocolate chip cookies.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Hey, I can totally relate to the excitement of making a good chocolate chip cookie for the first time! I finally did that this past year, after 10 years of marriage. I had just about given up trying to make them! I finally learned that extra flour is what I need living at 3800 feet elevation!