July 28, 2008

He always knows our needs

In beginning the disability ministry at our church, I've been exposed to Joni and Friends Camp. Joni and Friends is a ministry that was begun by Joni Eareckson Tada many years ago. Their vision is to minister to families dealing with disabilities. One of the ways they do this is by offering Family Retreats, a 5 day camp for families dealing with disability of any sort.

Well, I get to go this year as a short term missionary! (I'm going at the end of August to Alabama.) I'll be an attendant to a person with a disability for the entire camp so their families can attend workshops, enjoy some free time or fellowship, eat their meal uninterrupted, and just take a break from some of their never-ending responsibility. I'm really looking forward to going, though I'm a bit nervous they'll hook me up with a teenager!

I've been wondering the past few weeks how I was going to pay for this trip. STMs are volunteers, but it costs the same to attend, and lately we've had to tighten our belt a lot. I had some of it paid for already, but I still lacked $200. And I was just running numbers in my head instead of asking the Lord to provide it. Well, this weekend I had a yard sale with a friend. About an hour into the first day, I thought, "Lord, wouldn't it be just like you for me to earn exactly what I needed for Joni and Friends!" Then I glanced around at what I had to sell... I'd have to almost sell everything to get that amount, though I knew any amount would help.

You know where I'm going now... my grand total??

$204.45!!!!!

I love it when He reminds me that the little things matter to Him.
Yes, He created the world just by speaking it into being.
Yes, He died on the cross.
Yes, He rose from the dead.
Yes, He offers me a lifetime in eternity with Him.
Amazingly enough, He knows how much I needed to be reminded that just because He's the creator of the universe doesn't mean He's forgotten about my trivial needs.
And yes, He knew I needed $200 to go to Joni and Friends Camp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! I am so happy for you. It should be a great time and even if you are paired with a teen, you both will learn something. That is the nature of our Lord!! Thanks for having this blog, it is so nice to 'keep up with you' even if we do not see each other or talk on the phone.

Valerie said...

That's awesome! I know you will be blessed by your time at the retreat.

A girl who sees said...

Wow...that's so cool. I love when He does things like that! I know that trip will be right up your alley too! So fun.