January 24, 2010

I love my Sunday School class

We had a neat "first" today in class.

This month we're learning that God made us (and all men).  Our Bible verse for this month is the first part of Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."  First we talked about what "formed" and "womb" meant.  Then we personalized it and replaced YOU with each of the students names to help them see God knew them as well, not just some random "you."  At this point I had my students, plus several visiting fifth graders.  I showed them what to do, then they said the verse with their names in it.

Before I formed Jessie in the womb, I knew Jessie.
Before I formed Jordan in the womb, I knew Jordan.
Before I formed Emily in the womb, I knew Emily.
Before I formed Chris in the womb, I knew Chris.

At first they looked at me funny, but by the end they were all smiling sheepishly as they said it with their name in it.  It was sweet to realize that they were letting that sink in a little.  I have to say, I think the fifth graders enjoyed it even more than my kids!  And I've enjoyed remembering it today too.

No comments: