January 24, 2007

Black & White Child

Jacob and I have been talking a lot about grumbling and complaining lately. Did I say a lot? I'm reading a new book called Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel. She talks a lot about using stories and illustrations to help your child understand a concept. So, what the heck...I'll give it a try!

Me: Jacob, you know how we've been talking about grumbling and complaining lately? How God's word tells us to "do everything without grumbling or complaining so that you may become blameless and pure" and be lights in the darkness?

Jacob: yeah

Me: You can be a light that shines in the darkness, bright like a shining star in the sky...

Jacob: I'm not shiny!

Me: You can be bright and shine like a light in the sky but when you grumble and complain you don't shine as brightly.

Jacob: But I'm not shiny.

Me (another try...): God's word says you can be blameless and pure which means to keep your heart clean for God.

Jacob (walking away and pulling up his shirt): Well I was just complaining and my tummy's not dirty.

Me (giving up silently): Help me, God!!! Obviously I need another book...one written for extremely literal children!! (You'd think, being so literal, I could figure out my own son.)

1 comment:

Matt said...

What a cute story! That's great...you'll have to be sure to hang on to that one for when he's older.