January 23, 2007

"I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (I am??)

I will praise thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:14

This is Jacob's Bible verse for this week. We were talking about it and I was telling him that God didn't make any mistakes in making Jacob, He made him exactly as He wanted him to be. And I love him just the way God made him...warts and all! How nice that is to tell that to my children to help them feel better about themselves.

Well, what a hypocrite I am!!! How many times have I begrudged part of my personality or, um, my nose? I have begrudged my no-nonsenseness, my straighforwardness, my strength, and lots of other things about myself and the way God created me. Well, I can't do that any more...not now that I've been convicted! I guess now it's time to ask the Lord to help me believe this verse...and that He meant it about ME too!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Context is everything! Ever thought much about the fact that our greatest strengths can also be our greatest weaknesses? Of course that's when they're not used within God's design, but it's still just as true. I guess that's one way that God intends to keep us completely reliant upon Him, so that the things we begrudge about ourselves (also the things that we also love about ourselves in the right context) are used in the balance of faith, discernment, humility and wisdom that God intended...and when our personality is tempered by our spiritual gifts, faith and trust I have found that the balance just seems to work pretty well. Granted...there are quite a handful of things that I begrudge about myself as well...so I need to ask God to help me believe this verse too...duely noted.