January 11, 2007

The men in my life

I thought I'd share a little about our family to get us all current. There's so much from the past to share, but I'll just do a little for now.
For starters, here are the men in my life! My husband, Robert, and Jacob, our 4 year old.

Robert is a "Mr. Steady" man (from Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl) if I've ever seen one! He is very predictable, very grounded, down to earth, laid back, non-excitable, steadfast, reliable, loyal husband and father. He is incredibly easy to please and makes very few requests. In the rare event that he does have a request, I try really hard to accomodate it! I am so thankful God chose him to be mine!!
Robert is a fantastic daddy. He is very helpful with the kids and they LOVE him! Life is all about Daddy when he's home!
Robert's hobbies, though there's not enough time for them, are definitely all outdoors. His favorite thing to do is fly fish all by himself on a quiet secluded stream. That is definitely therapeutic for him! He also loves to hunt, but hasn't had much of a chance lately.

Then there's Jacob...I wish he had more of Robert's personality!! He was the easiest baby I could have asked for. Laid back, quiet, great at independent playing, great sleeper, etc. Well that has sure changed!!! He is still great at independent playing, but now he talks non-stop! He has two loves in life...books and trains. Though he has loved Thomas and Friends since before he was two, his love for trains extends far beyond that group of toys. He knows about all there is to know about them and desperately wants to know more! (I sense a unit study coming in the future...)
His love for books he's had since he was a baby. As soon as he could crawl, he'd go to the book basket and sit for 30 minutes or more looking at the books. He loved to have us read to him and was just as happy to look at them alone. When he turned two, my SIL got him the LeapFrog fridge phonics and he learned all his letters in a couple of months. At 26 months we were at OshKosh and he was telling the store clerk the letters on the rug by the door!! By three he was reading small words, and at 4 1/2 now he's reading 2nd grade level books independently. I don't say any of this to be snotty...we know he certainly has weaknesses!!! (Take coloring, for example...) I am proud of him for his reading, but I'm most excited that he loves books so much. His independent reading and love for learning have opened up a whole new world for him and that delights me as a mother for his sake!

That's good for now...I have responsibilities calling me! I'll write about Mattie tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Everyone! I am so glad that you opened this blog because often enough emails don't really get exchanged that often and I love hearing about your family. I love you guys so very much and it is great hearing about your life. :-P