July 18, 2007

My hummingbird gift

If you read a couple of posts ago, you'll remember that we're studying birds this week. We put out bird feeders on Saturday and have yet to see any birds at them. I was surprised, because when we had one of those peanut butter-birdseed-pine cone feeders we saw quite a few blue jays. Anyway, we originally hung all of these feeders in a tree near our front window. Yesterday I decided to try them in the back. I know it's only been 3 full days, but it occurred to me that our dog was probably hurting our chances a little...I hadn't thought about the fact that he's a "bird dog!" So we moved the feeders out to the back porch yesterday.

This morning I was sitting out there reading my Bible and praying amid the cheerful sounds in the high trees that surround our property. (Ah, what a reward to get up before the kids!) I prayed that the Lord would bring us some birds to enjoy firsthand, at our feeders. And I prayed that Jacob would get to hear the morning chirping, thinking, "I should wake him. But if I wake him, the little girl will see me and gone will be our serenity!"


Meanwhile, I was reading Psalm 62:5-8

"My soul, wait in silence for my God only,
For my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.

On God my salvation and my glory rest,

The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.

Trust in Him at all times, O [Lissa],

Pour out your heart before Him;

God is a refuge for [me]."


I was thanking the Lord that He has given me a firm foundation and trust in Him. I
know He holds all things in His hands...our house needing to sell, a local job for Robert, wisdom in raising children who know and desire Him. I don't tend to be a worrier because I know He has a plan that is His best for myself, Robert, Mattie and Jacob. As I was thanking Him for His faithfulness I was looking up at every loud chirp to see if He had brought me a bird! I was expecting Him to do that, knowing that He might have another plan, but hoping He would. The second or third time I looked up, there was a hummingbird at our feeder!! He answered my trivial little prayer!


Interestingly enough, I hadn't even thought I'd see a hummingbird! My mother-in-law had suggested six or seven birds she saw often when she lived here. So I made a chart of birds to watch for, and a hummingbird wasn't included. I just thought we'd hang up a feeder to see what happened. So, He answered my prayer in a completely different way than I was even asking!
And just as I was thinking, "I should go check to see if I hear Mattie chatting in bed," Jacob came out to find me! So we got to sit and enjoy the birds' singing together! We prayed for Daddy in Georgia, for help being brave during swimming lessons, and for more birds for Jacob to see...and we've seen two (edited...five!) more hummingbirds today. Isn't that just like God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love, love this entry today! This is my favorite of your blog entries ever. :) I love your reading about your prayers and you getting to pray with Jacob and the birds brought tears to my eyes. I'm praying all those things you mentioned for you guys as well!

Love,
Candace