March 09, 2010

The Blessing of Birds

I can't say how much I enjoy the birds that frequent our feeders.  One of the things I asked for for Christmas was to have my bird feeder hung up (after being down since we got our new windows).  Robert did that for me and I got a new feeder from my mom as well!  So now I have feeders just outside both of the windows in the main area of the house, and I love them both as they attract different birds!  

Sometimes I sit down to eat by the back window and watch.  
Sometimes I notice a bird eating, and end up sitting for a few minutes for a much needed rest.
Sometimes the kids notice a bird and come tell me in their excitement!
Sometimes I just sit there on purpose, because it's quiet, and I enjoy watching God's little creatures.
Sometimes God teaches me little tidbits about His great love for us.

Sometimes I get just the right shot.

This male cardinal looks so manly, standing up all straight, tall, and strong.

One day a red-winged blackbird came to visit!

It's always exciting to draw a new bird.  It's like beating a game.  
This is a European Starling and this was the first day he came.  Now they come several times a day!  They like the suet (which helps them keep fat in their diets in the winter), so I'm not sure if they'll keep coming now that it's warming up.

This red bellied (yes, red-bellied - the red-headed woodpecker is something else) woodpecker must be camera shy.  He eluded me for a long time!  So much so that Jacob would tell me whenever he saw him so I could try and snap the shutter before he flew away.

This cardinal looks like a picture of the security we have in Christ.  This was a very windy day (you can see his feathers ruffled on his back), and he sat in this spot for a long time.  He'd get caught by a gust every now and then, but he'd regain his balance and settle back in, the seed cylinder blocking the wind.
Bad weather will come, steadily like falling and in harshly like strong gusts of wind, but God offers us a place of rest and protection right under His wings.  I just have to know my way well so I can head there when the storm is coming.

These are brown-headed cowbirds.  Not very fancy, but I liked the snow on their little beaks.

And this looks like a bird after my own heart... one all fluffed out to keep warm.

This is the bird that flew into the window on the morning of Mattie's birthday.  He was too rattled to fly away right away, but he let Robert pick him up and hold him.  This is another picture of the rest we have in God.  His strong hand offers security, protection, and a place to rest while we recover and are ready to fly again.

And once we fly again, we can be still in knowing the He us in His hand and we don't have to worry.

A downy woodpecker.  He and several girlfriends come often!

I can't forget the faithful tufted titmice that are here every day.

You know, we really can all get along!  We all have the same needs anyway... security, love, food, water, and salvation.  And we all have to go to the same Person to have those needs met.  We really aren't that different!

And while we have the same basic needs, God knows what I need during each season so I can wholly find security in Him; He knows what kind of food is best for my body, and even makes stuff I like just because He loves me; He knows my love language because He created it in me.
Most importantly, the salvation we all need is offered in one place, no matter what size, shape and color He made us.

God is good!

No comments: